This talk will provide an introduction to Integer Programming and demonstrate how it can be used for conference scheduling. We will explore the basics of Integer Programming and how it can be applied to optimize the allocation of talks to time slots and rooms in a conference program. By the end of the talk, attendees will have a better understanding of how this powerful tool can help to create an efficient and effective conference schedule that maximizes attendee satisfaction. Whether you're a conference organizer or simply interested in learning more about optimization algorithms, this talk is for you!
- Overview of the challenges of conference scheduling and the potential benefits of using optimization algorithms
- Explanation of the basics of Integer Programming and its role in conference scheduling
- The importance of defining clear objectives and constraints for a conference program
- The different types of variables used in Integer Programming models for conference scheduling (e.g. binary, integer, continuous)
- An overview of popular optimization algorithms and their application to conference scheduling (e.g. branch-and-bound, cutting plane methods, column generation)
- A step-by-step guide to constructing an Integer Programming model for conference scheduling, including how to formulate objectives and constraints
PyConDE / PyData 2023 Berlin Example:
- A real-world conference scheduling problem, that is for the PyConDE / PyData 2023, and how we used Integer Programming
- Recap of the key concepts and takeaways from the talk
- Q&A session to answer any remaining questions from the audience
Overall, this talk aims to provide attendees with a beginner-friendly introduction to Integer Programming and its applications in conference scheduling. By the end of the talk, attendees will have a better understanding of how to use optimization algorithms to create an efficient and effective conference schedule that maximizes attendee satisfaction.